Tuesday, August 18, 2009

When life hands you a messy cake....

Make a Trifle instead!  






So my mom's birthday (not just any birthday, her 50th birthday) was on Saturday.  She was in Cancun with my dad, my sister was at Myrtle beach with her family, so we tried making Sunday dinner a little more special before we went out to celebrate for her birthday this week.  Well, with the excitement of Carleton moving back home (YAYYYYYY), making pancakes for a primary activity, the pool, cooking, priesthood meeting, grocery shopping, and going to Old Salem for a bridal shoot, time sort of got away from us.  I threw the cake in the oven and realized I'd have just enough time to get it out and put the bottom layer on the plate, I told Carleton how to remove the second one and gave (I thought) detailed instructions, basically just make sure the top is facing up!  I'm not sure if you can tell in the picture what's going on but 1/4 of the top is facing up, the other puzzle pieced 3/4s are faced down...I got home, and decided I needed to try something different because it would be pretty difficult to fix this cake, even if I could cover it with enough icing, when we attempted cutting it, our secret would be out!  Instead,  I crumbled the cake up and threw some of it in the bottom of a trifle dish, next I whipped up some pudding (chocolate and vanilla), grabbed some strawberries and blueberries I'd just bought, and pulled out some whipped cream.  As you can tell from the pictures, I just started layering and re-layering until I ran out of everything and put it in the fridge til it was dessert time!  I'm not sure if people realized it was a mistake or not, it looked pretty!

1 comments:

Lauren said...

Girl, you never cease to amaze me! You are so creative, I wouldn't have known what to do!