Monday, March 1, 2010

Baby Cake.






Jesica is due with her 4th baby (a boy) in just a few weeks. She's been in need of a day out with the girls so one of the women in her ward and I put together and luncheon for her. We all got together at Chili's, chatted, ate, opened a few presents and had a great time. I made a carseat canopy for her with the colors she picked out, thanks to Ali for the pattern! I'll post a picture when she gets it on her carseat. Chantel (the very talented woman who taught me how to make the cookies) and I started planning on making a cake for this luncheon with a baby theme. She showed me some pictures and we decided on a block cake. All the cakes were made when I got there Friday just before 5:30, so we started filling the middle with yummy raspberry sauce, dark chocolate, and buttercream frosting, YUM! After making sure they were all perfect cubes (some of the tops had to be cut off since the filling in the middle made them a little rectangular) we started coloring the fondant. There were lots of colors we had to make. Some time along the way I cut my hand (I was using just a smooth rolling pin with rubber bands on the side, so don't ask me how) so Chantel and i switched jobs. I went to covering each side of the blocks while she rolled the fondant out (she was a lot better at that than me, I kept making it stick to the surface, oops!) A few hours, and a lot of delicious buttercream frosting, later we finally got to do the detailed decorating, that didn't work out so well and it was already after midnight, so we decided to switch all the very tiny detailed cutouts for the big letters, planes, bottles, etc. I think it turned out really cute though and we had a lot of fun. I was home and in bed just before 2:00am, but I learned a lot and had a great time. Thank you SO MUCH, Chantel for showing me the ropes, and letting me get a lot of hands on experience!


The top "B" block and the bottom "Y" block are the ones I decorated, when I told Carleton he said, "oh wow that's really cute", then I pointed out the tarheel I put on top of one of them and he said yeah, that part's not so cute. I know he thinks it is, biased as he may be!

PS- I start my first cake decorating class tonight!

3 comments:

Ali Holt said...

A great photographer AND cake maker! Who knew!!!??? Pretty soon you are going to be making flower arrangements ( unless I dont know this about you already) and you will be hired out as a one person wedding coordinator. The cake is fabulous!!!

Nikki Nichols said...

Ashley that looks so so good! I wish you were around to take fabulous pictures and bake me wonderful treats! PS its so crazy that Kathryn Ririe was your RA cuz she is one of my really good friends :)

Bush's said...

The cake was sooo yummy and sooo cute, thanks Ash!!!