Tuesday, November 13, 2012


My sister talked me and my mom into doing a 5K obstacle course mud run, at the time I thought, ok I've got plenty of time to train for this, shouldn't be too bad, I used to run 4-5 miles 6 days a week before getting pregnant with Tinley, I got this! I was wrong. My whole family signed up...Jes, Phillip, Carleton, myself, and my parents. The week before the race I wanted to make sure I could do the full length since I'd been slacking at running to say the least. Running with a stroller is a whole new ball game, as it turns out! And when you've been restricted to walking for 10 months, starting to run again was hard to get back into. Anyway, back to the week before the race. I made Carleton push the stroller and I ran 3 miles or so by myself successfully. Ok, I can TOTALLY do this, from everything I've heard it doesn't feel like you're running as far as you are, and the adrenaline pumps in, you barely have time to think of running between obstacles, again wrong! I made the really (REALLY) stupid mistake of not bringing shoes and just banking on using my sister's when she was done. I didn't want to ruin the one good pair of running shoes I had and therefor totally throw away any motivation to exercise. My friends, Ali and Kristin saw a pair of water shoes by the trash that looked clean and said I should just use them. I thought ok that's kind of gross, but that's a good idea and if they weren't gonna judge me for using shoes by the dumpster, then I wasn't above it;) I put the shoes on and immediately noticed two problems, 1. they fit about 2 inches too big for my feet and 2. one the right shoe the rubber/wirey part that goes through a plastic squeeze thing you tighten had been pulled all the way through without a way (at least apparent to me) to re-lace it. Oh well, they were free and they were shoes, and now I didn't have to wear muddy ones. I grabbed a quick bite of granola bar and instantly regret it. I NEVER eat or drink anything before I run, it completely cramps me up, no matter how little my intake, what was I thinking?! But I was pumped, WAY pumped, when we started. I started running, felt a little crampy instantly but ran through it...then we got to the first obstacle a big clay pit where I lost my shoes, multiple times. I turned around to get one of them when it came completely behind and got stuck under the clay. From then on it was downhill. The shoes were like clown shoes flapping up every step I took, every time I picked my right foot up it would whip my other leg with the loose wire, and I kept getting rocks in my shoes. I'd have to stop, sit down take them out when it got unbearable. I felt bad, really bad, for those running with me. They had on proper shoe attire and I'm sure would've run the whole thing but for me slowing them down. Thanks for not giving up on me, guys! I'm happy to say Carleton and I completed every obstacle, and even happier to say we did it together. He looked so bummed watching lady folk pass him, but he stuck it out with me, what a great hubs I've got. My parents and Jes and Phillip went before us so there would be sitters for the kids. We all ended up with some battle wounds, my mom had a deep gash in her knee, all of us but my dad who wore goggles, knee and elbow pads. I thought he was silly looking at first but after every painful scratch and bruise I got, I seriously could feel every one of them, I was wishing I had some protective pads myself! We looked like we'd been attacked by a dog or something with all the cuts and bruises on our arms, legs, hips...everywhere. I had an engagement shoot that night, but luckily they were Carleton's friends and didn't judge our mutilated appearance! Carleton was ready to do another one as soon as it ended, I was just glad I finished. I'd like to do another one to redeem myself, next time I will take what I've learned (read: good shoes) and apply it! It started to rain when we were waiting to go back to our car, poor Tinley got SOAKED while we were waiting for the buses.  She was such a trooper!  Here are some pictures of the event:

rugged maniac web rugged maniac web 2
and almost two weeks later my legs: The worst of my injuries was a fairly deep gash on my left ankle (not pictured) and some painful bruises on my right knee and leg, you can't really tell but it was very swollen in those two spots)...and that's not fake tanner on my legs, it's good ole' NC clay staining my legs. I'm happy to say, it's all gone now:)