Friday, June 12, 2009

Charlotte for the day!

So for Jes' birthday we went to Carowinds.  She has always been the one in the family that LOVES theme parks, the last few times she's wanted to go however, she's been prego.  Well this time around, she decided this is what she wanted to do for her birthday so we dropped the kids off with my parents and headed down to Charlotte to meet up with Carleton and hit the rides.  The first roller coaster was definitely my favorite, I was so proud of myself for A. sitting in the front and B. keeping my eyes open the ENTIRE time (both firsts for me).  The other rides kind of gave me whiplash and even the next morning in the shower I felt like I had to squeeze my hands to my head as tight as possible to keep my brain from exploding out.  One ride in particular, I hated.  It's called Nighthawk.  This doesn't really even BEGIN to describe how traumatizing it was, but here's a video someone took while on the ride.  To make a REALLY long story short we wait in line for around an hour and 45 minutes before we get to the front where we get on the ride then they make us all get off, call the engineers over to work on it (while the other people are laying head down diagonally waiting to get off).  They end up sending off that one to be tested so we got on the next one (phew).  It was the scariest roller coaster ever.  With one hand I grasped the other wrist in an attempt to keep me in, incase my vest came unbuckled (the guy before me in that seat had to be rebuckled a couple times by one of the ride operators, he looked terrified, and as luck would have it, I got his seat).  Well Jes and I made the mistake of opening our eyes once.  If we were cussing women, I'm pretty sure an entire string would've been let out until we stopped.  Carleton realized the futility of trying to hold on for dear life when he saw how high up we were, felt how fast we were going, and the fact that we were hanging by our stomachs didn't help too much.... so he just put his hands out and said he'd go out with a smile....my husband. 
This is one ride Jesica would NOT go on, the drop zone
I started screaming then totally lost all vocal capabilities.


He would go for the hottie that's closer to him in height!

All in all we had a blast there, then Carleton and I sent Jes and Phillip off with our credit card to go have a nice dinner while we headed over to one of the partners at the firm Carleton is interning with.  We enjoyed a great dinner and great company, Jim and his family, along with Colby and his family were very nice and fun to hang out with.  Just as we were leaving we had 10 minutes to stop in ikea before we met Jes and Phillip to take me home while he stayed in Charlotte:( Ikea was HUGE, we had to keep looking at maps to see where Jes and Phillip were and we barely got through the furniture before we had to go.  

On another Charlotte day trip I went to a dinner at another partner's house and then helped Carleton and some other summer associates put up all the drywall in a habitat for humanity house.  We (mainly Carleton) did LOTS of measuring, cutting, and breaking...I think I did most of the nailing though:)  We lined all the windows with drywall which we thought would be the quick, easy job.  We were wrong.  Very wrong.  Poor Carleton was cutting so much with a dull blade that the skin on the back of all of his fingers got rubbed right off, OUCH!  No pictures of that but we will be watching the kids all weekend and we're running a 5K tomorrow (my first time ever running for an event-I've been training and I am TERRIBLE at running...my in-laws, particularly two of my sisters-in-law and a brother-in-law would be so disappointed in hearing that I actually have to train for it...I think Carleton might be a little bit too).  Anyway, I am not super fit (unfortunately) like Carleton's family, so for me this is a HUGE deal.  So we're running that in the morning, then we have the Country Club's Grand Opening Gala of our new clubhouse!  So stay tuned for some more updates of this upcoming weekend!

0 comments: